Saturday, March 14, 2015

Book store visit

Went on a shopping trip to Shreveport today, found a neat new bookstore: Apparently The Thrifty Peanut Book & Media Warehouse​ has been in business since 2005 in Bossier City, and opened a location in Shreveport last year.

The last time Patricia and I were in Shreveport was probably last May. We were driving back home yesterday on Kings Highway when I saw the bookstore - which I had not seen before - and we stopped.

Although I was the one who wanted to stop, Patricia was the one who ended up buying the most books. She found some books on art-related topics, especially one on Texas Painting that she had tried to find earlier on-line. She was very pleased (she teaches sixth grade art).

I found  copy of the 1992 Oxford Book of Science Fiction Stories, one collection I've missed.

I believe these kind of independent book stores are the wave of the future. Bookstores were originally locally-owned and independent, anyway. The chains only began to proliferate in the 1960s and 1970s with Borders, Books-a-Million, and Barnes and Noble. Now they're collapsing and we're probably going to see the old model reassert itself.

There used to be small chain in the area called the Book Barn that had the same kind of knowledgeable selection of used books. I think they had outlets in Longview and Tyler, maybe one other city. They didn't make it through the Recession, but the Longview location was a great bookstore. I bought many books there. Probably the one I'm the most fond of is the 1992 Collier edition of "A Spectre in Haunting Texas".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever happened to that old Sunbelt?

By LOU ANTONELLI Managing Editor It’s rained almost daily for the past four months. The ground is saturated; walking across grass is lik...